Tanzania’s Alfonce Felix captures 3rd place as Rotich wins Lake Biwa Marathon

Alphonce Felix Simbu
Lucas Rotich won the Lake Biwa Marathon, an IAAF Gold Label Road Race, in 2:09:11 in the Japanese city of Otsu on Sunday afternoon (6). “2:09:11 is a good time considering the warm weather conditions,” said the 25-year-old Kenyan. “Since the pace maker Kosgei went back to pace the Japanese before 25km, I was in front alone without a pace maker at that point, so it was little difficult.”
The race start time temperature was just below 20C and it stayed about the same throughout the race. The plus side of the weather was that cloud covered the Sun throughout the race, and wind was at minimal.

Hisanori Kitajima finished five seconds behind in second place with a PB of 2:09:16 and thus finished in the all-important first Japanese position in the final Olympic qualifying race. “A side-stitch really started to bother me at about 37km,” said Kitajima, whose previous personal best was 2:12:28. “I tapped on my side in the hope that it would go away and luckily it did over the course of the next few kilometres.

“At some point during the race, I thought 2:08 was a possibility,” added Kitajima, who had won his two other marathons to date, in Nobeoka and Sydney last year. “It was low 2:09, but since it is a huge personal best and my first sub-2:10 clocking, I am happy with the result. The only disappointment is that I could not win today, so my winning streak at the marathon came to an end. “I like warmer weather so today’s weather did not bother me,” he added. “Please note that I am sending this message to the selector.”

Tanzania’s Alphonce Simbu was third in 2:09:19. Finishing fourth – but, more importantly, the second Japanese overall – was Suehiro Ishikawa with 2:09:25. Since Ishikawa’s performance is the third-fastest time from Japan’s three Olympic qualifying races, his chances of making the team for Rio de Janeiro appear to be quite good.

“I was aiming for the first Japanese position, so I am bit disappointed,” said Ishikawa. “But I think I sent a strong message to the selectors by running sub-2:10 in warm weather. When Maruyama made his move, the pace really picked up so suddenly. But my coach told me before the race to stay calm and run my own race when the major move is made so I remained calm.”

Takuya Fukatsu was the third Japanese finisher, running 2:09:31 – an agonising six seconds behind Ishikawa. Fumihiro Maruyama, who led after 30km and looked set to be the first Japanese finisher, faded in the last four kilometres and was the fourth Japanese finisher in 2:09:39.

Yuki Kawauchi fell off the pace at about 17km, but kept on going and finished seventh with 2:11:53. Kentaro Nakamoto, one of the pre-race favourites, was eighth with 2:12:06. Poland’s Henryk Szost dropped out of the race just before 17km.

Comments

Popular

GIDABUDAY KUHAMASISHA UJENZI WA KIJIJI CHA MICHEZO TANZANIA LENYE JINA YA MWANARIADHA MKONGWE BW.JOHN STEPHEN AKHWARI

Rio Olympics: Brazil win men's volleyball gold, GB's Joyce takes boxing silver – as it happened

Olympics 2016: Usain Bolt completes sprint double, Jade Jones retains taekwondo title

Rio Olympics: Swimmer Lochte apologises for 'robbery' saga