Commonwealth Games: Michael Shelley and Flomena Daniel wins marathon gold

Flomena Daniel of Kenya shines as she wins Gold Medal in the women's marathon race in Glasgow
Shelley, who claimed silver in Delhi four years ago, stopped the clock in two hours, 11 minutes and 15 seconds.
It is Australia's first win in the men's Commonwealth Games marathon since Steve Moneghetti triumphed in Victoria in 1994.

Kenya's Stephen Chemlany took the silver medal with a time of 2:11.58 and Uganda's Abraham Kiplimo collected the bronze in 2:12.23.
Shelley's countryman Liam Adams was seventh in 2:13.49, while the third Australian Marty Dent was 19th in 2:19.22.

In the women's marathon, Jess Trengove (2:30:12) secured bronze in an amazing day for Australian long-distance running, finishing behind dominant Kenyan pair Flomena Daniel (2:26:45) and Caroline Kilel (2:27:10).
Shelley, who finished 16th in the London Olympics, produced a stunning final eight kilometres to trump a favoured east African field on the largely flat course around the streets of Glasgow.
I've got to pinch myself, it is very exciting. To come back and actually win is indescribable.
Michael Shelley
"I've got to pinch myself, it is very exciting. To come back and actually win is indescribable," said Shelley.
"Now I have had a bit more experience, to come away with my first win is indescribable."
"You just try to run the best you possibly can and it was a dream to be honest. I'm still buzzing, I can't believe it.

"It probably wasn't until a kilometre out that I got a bit of a feeling. I just kept pushing on. My main idea was to stay relaxed and I was always there in the lead group.
"At 35k there was a surge. I just had to stay strong and it paid off."
After a sedate opening 10km, Kiplimo upped the pace, glancing over his shoulder and accelerating away, taking with him team-mates Philip Kiplimo and Munyo Mutai, and Tanzania's Fabiano Naasi.

SOURCE: www.abc.net.au

Comments

Popular

GIDABUDAY KUHAMASISHA UJENZI WA KIJIJI CHA MICHEZO TANZANIA LENYE JINA YA MWANARIADHA MKONGWE BW.JOHN STEPHEN AKHWARI

Rio Olympics: Brazil win men's volleyball gold, GB's Joyce takes boxing silver – as it happened

Olympics 2016: Usain Bolt completes sprint double, Jade Jones retains taekwondo title

Rio Olympics: Swimmer Lochte apologises for 'robbery' saga