ATHLETICS: Kiplagat buries Kiprop dream

Silas Kiplagat produced the shock of the IAAF Diamond League meeting in Monaco as he out sprinted domestic arch-rival, the Beijing Olympics and two-time world champion compatriot Asbel Kiprop, who was chasing the world record, with a blistering 3:27.64 world leading personal best on Friday night.

On the night, Kiplagat’s thrilling performance made him the fourth fastest man in history that was also a Diamond League record, trimming 0.08 off the time Kiprop set in winning here last year.

For the two-time world champion, who finished in a season’s best of 3:28.45, it was a huge anti-climax after he had prepared for an attempt on Hicham El Guerrouj’s 16-year-old world record of 3:26.00 by setting the fastest 800m time of the year, 1:43.34, at the Diamond League meeting in Paris earlier this month.

“At 1200m I knew the race was too slow,” Kiprop told the IAAF website. “We went through in 2.47 and I had asked for 2.45. In the home straight, I could see the others behind me on the big screen and I knew they would get back on me. I could see Silas coming closer and closer. It was a tough race.”

As for Kiplagat, he is now thinking in terms of mounting a world record attempt himself. “I have the fast time now, but why not be faster and attack the world record?” the Commonwealth champion who will not defend in Glasgow stated with a hint of his customary cockiness. 

“I’m still young and ready to train for it. I always run well here, so I’m thinking my win and result is no surprise. I was aware I can do it.”

Japan based teenage national champion, Ronald Kwemoi, lost his first ever race in 1500m after finishing third but he stood out with pride as the new world junior record holder with his 3:28.81 career best performance.

SOURCE: capitalfm.co.ke

Comments

Popular

GIDABUDAY KUHAMASISHA UJENZI WA KIJIJI CHA MICHEZO TANZANIA LENYE JINA YA MWANARIADHA MKONGWE BW.JOHN STEPHEN AKHWARI

Rio Olympics: Brazil win men's volleyball gold, GB's Joyce takes boxing silver – as it happened

Olympics 2016: Usain Bolt completes sprint double, Jade Jones retains taekwondo title

Rio Olympics: Swimmer Lochte apologises for 'robbery' saga